Best Video Practices To Enhance Your SEO in 2017
It’s not that far off to think about SEO in 2017. With the New Year almost upon us, it’s wise to start strategizing and analyzing current online marketing campaigns for the best results. So, what exactly is to be expected for SEO in the year ahead? What changes should experts anticipate?
One of the biggest trends is the rise of video content.
From quick YouTube clips to looping Vines, it was obvious that this is one fad that’s not bound to go away anytime soon. In an updated post from HubSpot, video has become an integral part of any marketing project. This is especially useful for businesses looking to tell a brand story, explain the value they’re offering, and connect with customers.
A lot of people prefer video these days over other forms of content. In fact:
- 90 percent of users say product videos have been helpful in their purchasing decision.
- 92 percent of mobile users share videos they’ve watched on their devices with others.
- 75 percent of viewers interact more with video ads.
These are interesting numbers to pay attention to. After all, digital marketing is a highly dynamic industry. Sticking to traditional methods nowadays is not enough – especially if you want to stand out.
The trick is to always keep experimenting and trying out new methods of grabbing the people’s attention. And video, with its combination of audio and visual stimuli, is perfect for today’s curious, yet demanding audiences.
But how do you ensure that you’re doing it right? Is there a way to incorporate SEO in video? Here’s a short primer on how to do video right.
Video SEO in 2017: For Your Website
Don’t immediately set your sights on video platforms, like YouTube. Focus first on your website or blog. By uploading your video directly on YOUR site, you:
a) ensure that traffic goes to you, and
b) you have complete control over ads, CTAs, and copy.
You might think that it’s counterintuitive, especially as YouTube has one-third of online users hooked on its service. However, it is for this exact reason that you need to avoid it. With 60 hours of video uploaded every minute and 4 billion videos watched in a day, the odds of you becoming a viral sensation overnight are slim.
But instead of going for viral views, in 2017 and beyond, aim to be ‘timeless’. Make people want to watch your content again and again by uploading good, quality stuff.
What do people want to see? Entertaining yet practical videos will give you a good run for your time. Produce tutorials, how-to’s or service/product reviews for good SEO in 2017. Make sure audiences will have some sort of takeaway (i.e. real, helpful advice they can begin using right away) after your presentation.
After uploading your video on your website, use it in conjunction with your blog. You can either:
a) make the video a summary of an article, or
b) act as supporting content by introducing more facts, stats, or figures for easier understanding.
What’s important is that you drive the traffic to your WEBSITE so it’s easier for you to direct them to take action.
Video SEO in 2017: On Video Platforms
Creating quality content through video is only half the work. If you want to see a return on your investment, make sure to apply the proper SEO techniques.
If you upload it on YouTube or Vimeo, check that you’ve covered the following points:
- Appropriate keywords are naturally mentioned in the video title, description, and URL (if possible)
- Make the description unique and catchy. What’s your video about, and why should people care to watch it?
- If you’re using the video as an introduction to a blog post, include the URL in the description
- Choose the right category for your video content
- Pick suitable and commonly searched terms for video tags
Don’t forget your profile on the video platform. This plays a big role, too in enhancing your SEO in 2017. Make sure you create an interesting and SEO-friendly profile that’s viewable across all devices.
Here are some key points to remember:
- Make branded images for your header. This usually features your name or that of your company, and a slogan. If you have a recurring theme or color scheme, this is the perfect place to showcase it so it catches the audience’s attention.
- Be creative in your description. This is your chance to describe what you do, what makes your videos great, and other details that you’d like to share with online users.
- Don’t forget links to your website and/or blog, as well as social media
- Want to increase your authority? Create a playlist of videos that talk about a specific topic (g. SEO, social media, online marketing, etc.). This serves two purposes: first, is that you establish yourself as a curator on the subject; second, your playlist might show up on the platform’s search results if someone looks for the topic.
Another trick is to make a video transcription that you can post as a description, OR use closed captions to appeal to a wider audience. This will come in handy for folks who may be unable to use the audio function on their devices.
If you plan on reaching international viewers, you can upload subtitles in the language of your target market (i.e. Spanish, German, Italian, etc.). However, you may want to hire expert help on this one, or translate the video yourself (if you’re a native speaker), as YouTube’s automatic translation is not yet refined.
SEO in 2017 and Beyond
Will video really dominate the future of content?
No one knows for sure. But it will definitely play a huge role in SEO, not just for 2017 but beyond. Perhaps we’ll see other types of content grow in popularity in years to come. But video today is a huge contender. Whether you’re a large corporation or a small local business, adding video into your SEO in 2017 can help boost not only your web traffic, but your online status as well.
Video SEO for 2018: just like images, it will continue to work. Make your videos get noticed by doing the following:
- Appealing titles – some work on title baits but with a purpose. Don’t overdo those title baits or else, they will not believe your content
- Clear and Concise Thumbnails – think of answering this : “what’s the best preview for my video?”
- Attention grabber Description – although according to Backlinko research that keywords doesn’t have correlation with the description, this still matters since this information can be seen in the search results. It can help you increase the click through rate (CTR)
- Must be engaging – just be real and don’t hesitate to ask for participation from your audience.
Don’t be afraid to take advantage of this medium. If you’re not sure where or how to begin, you can always talk to an expert.
Want to turn your WEBSITE into a TRAFFIC MACHINE?
Discover how to drive more traffic and leads.
Enter your name and email below to start maximizing your oppurtunities for organic search.
September 9, 2019
September 5, 2019
January 2, 2019
December 20, 2018