How to Optimize Content for Better User Experience (Guest Post)
Google is a highly popular search engine and has a significant market share. There are many reasons behind its success, but the most important consideration is actually user experience. Google has focused on how to optimize content for better user experience from the beginning. The search engine’s results are quick and the interface remains simple to date.
The company has taken how to optimize content for better user experience a step further by introducing Machine Learning and AI through RankBrain and Hummingbird updates. These algorithms are designed to determine user intent in search and give more accurate results. Google has also introduced something called Latent Semantic Indexing, which ensures the user’s keyword really matches the content.
What is User Intent?
Determining user intent might seem like an intimidating task, but it is actually quite easy. You don’t have to be a telepath or dive deep into industry research to know. Consider the factors mentioned below:
- User intent is the reason behind the search. For example, if someone searches for best SEO professionals, they intent is to find good SEO professionals for their requirements.
- When the user asks for good SEO professionals, Google will provide a list of SEO company websites that rank high and live up to Google’s standards.
- Because Google likes to give the best and more relevant results, it will take the searcher’s geographic location into consideration before providing results. This means if the search is performed in London, the top results will include London-based companies.
When you consider these factors, it becomes easier to understand user intent and how it works with the search. User intent is the reason behind the search and if you understand this, it is easier to create SEO campaigns that rank high.
All you need to do is place yourself in the search user’s shoes and ask ‘what do I want?’
How to Optimize Content for Better User Experience
User intent seems like such a vague and subjective topic. Many people think it is impossible to optimize for RankBrain and tailor their campaign to suit user intent. Fortunately, that’s not true and you don’t even have to jump through hoops to get good results.
Learning how to optimize content for better user experience is important. For this reason, we’ll discuss some key strategies in this article to help you understand how to optimize content for better user experience.
#1 Deliver Value
Conversion relies heavily on the user’s experience. No matter how optimized your website is, you won’t find any success if your content and platform doesn’t provide users with value. This places the user first and is in line with Google’s approach to search. The engine also focuses on links that provide the most value to the users.
Here’s an example to consider: Two competing companies in the same industry put out two similar articles. They’re both New Year gift buying guides and hope to generate some conversions.
One article provides a list of 10 items and tosses their product in there. The article is only around 300 to 500 words long and doesn’t include links or pictures.
The second article also provides a list of items, but they’re divided into different price categories. There are links, pictures, and even unbiased customer reviews. The article has more than 1,000 words and no sentence is filler or useless.
You can immediately tell which one will provide more value to the user. The second article attracts users with the intent to convert and make a purchase. They provide them with the best information and the tools needed to convert (links.) The shopping process is easier, even if the more detailed article requires more time to study.
#2 Optimize for Transactional Search Terms
Transactional or converting search terms are most likely to generate revenue. They target users who have the intent to make a purchase and are an important aspect of every business SEO strategy. If you have something to sell, you need transactional keywords. It is easy to find transactional keywords on Google’s Keyword Planner, SEMrush, KWFinder, Ahrefs or using other similar tools.
However, it is important to keep in mind that transactional keywords must lead to value in order to gain ROI. Here are some optimizations you can do:
- Provide the user with all the information they need to make the purchase decision. This ensures they don’t need to seek out information from other, third-party sources.
- Make the conversion process easy. Ensure the ‘Buy’ button is bold and streamline the checkout process.
- Make it easier for people to get more information. This can be done by placing live chat apps on your website. That allows customers to find resolutions quickly and speeds up the purchase process.
- Ensure the language on the product page encourages purchase. Don’t overwhelm your buyers with technical lingo and simplify the information as much as you can to get the best results.
This will help you focus on the user’s purchase intent and give them what they need. Such optimization will lead to more conversions and revenue.
(Also Read: How to Rank High in Google By Promoting Your Content)
#3 Optimize for Research or Informational Search Terms
Many marketers and website owners underestimate the power of informational search terms. These won’t bring in revenue on the same level as transactional keywords will, but they offer something much more valuable. If you play your cards right and create the right content, you can establish authority.
This is an important inbound and long-term marketing strategy that has helped several small companies rise from obscurity to become titans in their field. Here are some of the biggest advantages of targeting informational keywords:
- You catch user attention early in the buying process. They’re relying on you to provide information on products or services they need. This is the perfect opportunity to earn their trust by providing value.
- Exceptional content and information will earn you links from different websites. Links from trustworthy and high-authority sources show Google you’re trustworthy. You’re more likely to rank higher on the SERPs under these circumstances.
- Great content and informational keywords can help you with your outreach process and attract more links.
Once you have optimized your content and website for informational keywords, you will see a big impact on search engine rankings and the quality of traffic. It’s really an important part of learning how to optimize content for better user experience.
In the case of both transactional and informational keywords, it is important to understand user flow and behavior before crafting a campaign. It will also serve you well to optimize how your link looks by incorporating things like Rich Snippets, a great meta-description, and good title tags.
Digital marketing, in general, has moved on from simply creating content for the sake of search engine bots. The priority has shifted from the bots to the humans typing their queries away. And in understanding how to optimize content for better user experience, your business can open up plenty of digital marketing strategies that can leverage your gains.
Want to turn your WEBSITE into a TRAFFIC MACHINE?
Discover how to drive more traffic and leads.
Enter your name and email below to start maximizing your oppurtunities for organic search.
February 8, 2019
August 23, 2018
August 20, 2018